Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Early Childhood Intervention

Last night my wife and I were discussing what we should do about our 21 month old. We believe that he is behind the other children at his daycare with his speech progression. He says a few words but they are very unclear and hard to make out. There is this little girl that he goes to school with, she is 20 months and is already talking in full articulate sentences. I know that every child progresses differently, but we are very concerned because we believe that he should be a little bit more advanced with his speech at his age.

We were calling around and we discovered that our County offers a program where they can come out to your house and do an evaluation of your child's speech progression. They best part about it is that it's a free service. They call it Early Childhood Intervention. We made an appointment for next Tuesday @ 6PM. I hope that they say that he is right on track, but we just want to make sure. Has anybody out there had a similar problem?..........

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Worth checking it out if it's free! But try not to worry, I've known several under 2's whose language seems really poor but they usually catch up by 3! Good luck.

Kathy Slattengren said...

I read that Einstein didn't speak until he was three so hang in there! You might this blog post and associated link to developmental milestones helpful:

http://pricelessparenting.blogspot.com/2008/08/is-my-child-developmentally-delayed.html

Unknown said...

My 19 month old nephew can say a few words (no complete sentences or anything), but it is really clear that he grasps and understands A LOT of what adults ask of him. In fact, you can even see the wheels turning in his head when you ask him a question! He's an unbelievably smart kid and thinks outside the box, but just doesn't say much right now. I guess each child develops at their own pace. My brother and his wife don't seem to be terribly worried about it.

Unknown said...

Our first child could sing the ABC's and count to 13 and speak in paragraphs by 18 months.

Our second child is 17 months and not saying too many words. I know he understands us and the wheels are turning in there.

It is hard not to compare the two and not to think that our second has delays. But I am sure that #1 was ahead of the curve and #2 is just a bit behind.

I know it's difficult not to worry. Have the evaluation if it will ease your worries. And if there are delays, then use the resources available to you.

But in my experience, your child (and mine too) will just have a break through one day.

Hang in there.